I was unaware that Martin Luther King, Jr., required every volunteer to sign the following commitment card:
I HEREBY PLEDGE MYSELF–MY PERSON AND MY BODY–TO THE NONVIOLENT MOVEMENT. THEREFORE I WILL KEEP THE FOLLOWING TEN COMMANDMENTS.
- MEDITATE daily on the teachings and life of Jesus.
- REMEMBER always that the nonviolent movement in Birmingham seeks justice and reconciliation–not victory.
- WALK and TALK in the manner of love, for God is love.
- PRAY daily to be used by God in order that all men might be free.
- SACRIFICE personal wishes in order that all men might be free.
- OBSERVE with both friend and foe the ordinary rules of courtesy.
- SEEK to perform regular service for others and for the world.
- REFRAIN from the violence of fist, tongue, or heart.
- STRIVE to be in good spiritual and bodily health.
- FOLLOW the directions of the movement and of the captain on demonstration.
I SIGN THIS PLEDGE, HAVING SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED WHAT I DO AND WITH THE DETERMINATION AND WILL TO PERSEVERE.
How might your life be different if you chose to commit to this level of humility for the next 30 days?